I dreamed of the day I would have a little girl. I was obsessed beyond belief with Barbie, Cabbage Patch dolls, Magic Nursery Dolls…you know the dreams of any little girl in the 80’s and 90’s. Imagine my surprise to find out I was having a little boy! OK, so no pink clothes, no frilly dresses, and Barbie was probably out of the question. Dolls as a whole…fair game!
Let’s just say that as of this article my son has two girl dolls and two boy dolls! This Mommy is headstrong and I know many men who tell my girl friends their little boys can not have a doll. I am here to tell you, YES THEY CAN. Man up! If I do not change your mind by the end of this, then you might have secret fears of your own that you are regressing on.
When I was little I wanted Barbie to have friends. They made friends for her that were Caucasian, African American, Asian, and my favorite, Midge- The redhead! They even let her get married (I might or might not have the wedding set still new in box…we can talk about that later) I just wanted my pretend world to represent the real world.
Call me optimistic but I think everyone is unique and beautiful in their own way. This means if you have a girl part or boy part…you are equal. Pattycake Doll specializes in my dream world that all dolls are equal.They sent me a Jacob doll to add to Davin’s collection and it really got me thinking about this post. They have the best doll assortment available online!
Pattycake Doll has dolls for girls and dolls for boys. Then they go above and beyond also offering anatomically correct baby dolls, special needs dolls, soft dolls, value priced dolls just like American Girl Dolls but without breaking the bank, and so much more! Their special needs dolls offer a variety of dolls and toys from downs syndrome, autism toys, doll wheelchairs, crutches, and even a guide dog!
Every little boy and girl can feel they have a doll to connect with. This is what life is all about. Feeling like someone understands you and knowing that as unique as each person is, there is a doll out there for them! Who is fed up with all blonde haired blue eyed dolls? Brown hair and green eyes? Come on! Break away from this and give the next generation an early look into how beautiful and different the world around us can be.
So you don’t need a special doll? A doll off the shelf that looks like every generic doll is up your alley? Fine. But isn’t it nice that the option is available. I know so many people in the cloth diaper world who go crazy for diapers that raise awareness for their children such as Autism awareness diapers. We want to celebrate our children in different ways. Why not with a doll that is just like them?
So early on, I knew I would buy my son dolls. My husband never fought me on this topic and actually embraces it. He was with me when making the decision for two dolls and two others were gift from Davin’s Grandmother (My Mom) This is why.
1) Your son will not suddenly turn “Gay” by playing with a doll. I think this is the most absurd thing. How many times do little boys run off with their sister’s tea sets, dolls, barbies, and even play up dresses and heels? The type of toy does not determine the sexual orientation of a child. Does a little girl become a lesbian by playing with a girl doll? Sheesh! People need to get over this. Your child will grow up to be anything he or she wants and no toy is going to define this. You can not determine sexual orientation or if they even want to get married a heterosexual adult. These choices are NOT made by you or a doll!
2) My son does not care what color a toy is. He is getting a pink and orange vacuum for Christmas because the blue and green one was 3x as expensive. Will this determine how it works or if he becomes a male maid in the future? No! My son does not see a doll as a “girly toy” he sees it as a friend.
3) Our anatomically correct boy doll from Pattycake Doll is a hard plastic with hair. This allows my son to learn to to wash body parts in the tub. Being able to demonstrate is called education.
4) With a doll just like your child, you can teach your child good touch verses bad touch. This is essential in this day and age.
5) With an anatomically correct doll you can teach your child how to wipe while potty training.
6) With an anatomically correct doll you can teach your significant other how to wipe a child of that gender, I can hands down tell you that the biggest fear of most new dads is how to wipe a girl or boy correctly.
7) You can practice with a doll, how to change diapers.
8) You can teach body parts, no, not just the genitals but also facial features and other body parts.
9) If a new baby is on the way, teaching about being a big brother is easier understood by children with demonstration with a doll.
10) Feelings. Just likes girls, little boys have feelings and emotions. Sometimes it is best to sit and watch or listen to your child play with a doll to see what is on their mind or how they may be feeling. They often will act out scenes with a doll of things they heard, saw, or dream of.
11) Every little boy deserves to have a best friend to bring to the dinner table. As an only child right now my son loves to take his Jacob doll in the wagon that has two seats! He has a soft doll he sleeps with.
12) Social skills, games, questions, and educational skills can all be taught with dolls. From teaching how to put and take off clothing to asking “where or how” questions, feeding a baby, asking about feelings, and seeing your child copy your love and affection are all learning aspects a doll can offer that trucks, planes, and blocks can not!
13) Your son, can be more than a fan of dolls as a child.. He can be a father one day. #MindBlown right?
I’m not here to change your mind but maybe open it. My niece recently got a little doll buggy as a gift. It was pink. My nephew who is almost two was obsessed with pushing it and putting the baby doll in it. So the next day there was a purple one right there for him to use. Can someone please tell me why they do not make blue, gray, black, or gender neutral colored baby strollers and buggys? Come on! It is the end of 2014 and there are single dads, stay at home dads, and widowed fathers out there. The toy industry should not be making this difficult. Boys can play with dolls.
To get your own anatomically correct baby doll for your little boy OR girl, or check out the tons of other amazing dolls offered by Pattycake Doll. They have boys and girls in a variety of skin tones and so many other unique dolls as well.Please visit them online!
Author: Nichole Arnold
I’m the owner of Mommy Needs a Bottle . I’m a 30- something wine enthusiast that resides in Tampa, FL. I love family traditions, traveling, cooking, baking, reading, fashion, tattoos, beauty products, and being a Mommy! I have a background in marketing, public relations, copywriting, and sales.