My friend Tiffany N. from Orlando, Florida is much more of a Halloween fan than myself so she offered this fun DIY craft melted crayon pumpkin craft for my readers and I hope you enjoy!
Melted Crayon Pumpkin
What you will need:
-1 pumpkin, any size (if you can find a white one, go with that to eliminate an extra step)
-1 can of cheap white spray paint (you won’t need this is you find a white pumpkin)
-Hot glue and glue gun or white tacky glue
-Assorted crayons (I read that the better quality crayons like Crayola, don’t melt as easily, so I recommend using cheaper quality crayons)
-Hair dryer or heat gun
-Grill lighter (optional)
-Protective covering from the wax (newspaper, etc) for your work surface
- If you could only find an orange pumpkin, spray paint it all white and let it dry
- Unwrap all of your crayons and break them in half- a little crayon goes a long way!
- Glue the crayons all around the top near the base of the stem. If using hot glue you will need to put glue down, then shove the crayon into it with a bit of force and hold down hard for a few moments, so it sticks.
- Use the hair dryer on high heat on the high speed setting to get them going, and then switch to low to prevent splatters everywhere. Just take your time and move around the whole top. As they start to melt you will be able to manipulate your heat a little and get them dripping well.
- Take the grill lighter and go back over the clumpy spots to thin them out, or to elongate your drips more. It helps to customize your look!
Here is a video of the actual process!
Ta Da! All done! It takes a little while longer than I thought, but once they got melting, it was cool and my daughter loved watching.
Final update is that the pumpkin lasted about a week and a half before starting to decompose. So it is a perfect craft to do right before Halloween or Thanksgiving but not too far ahead 🙂
Author: Nichole Arnold
I’m the owner of Mommy Needs a Bottle . I’m a 30- something wine enthusiast that resides in Tampa, FL. I love family traditions, traveling, cooking, baking, reading, fashion, tattoos, beauty products, and being a Mommy! I have a background in marketing, public relations, copywriting, and sales.