Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a "sponsored post." The company who sponsored it compensated me via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to write it. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
This Summer funds have been tight. With a lot of tragic loss in our family, taking a vacation just was not in the cards for us this year. We knew we had to at least plan a few fun adventures with our son, even if it meant thinking outside the box when it came to having more than just a day out. Having a Staycation was the next best solution! With minimal planning and limited funds, we set out to have a fun few days that included lots of sun and outdoor fun. Sometimes all you need to feel rejuvenated is an afternoon with a toddler to realize seeing their smile light up is more than enough to push through this hurdle we call “adulting”.
I was recently asked by The J.M. Smucker Company to create some unique tips for using a new product and I wanted to share with you how we were able to really keep our active toddler going with some great snacks from the Smucker brands! We turned our Staycation in to the ultimate #Snackation on a very limited budget. Having some great snacks on hand cut the eating out costs by a huge amount!
Here are some easy tips for taking a quick and affordable Staycation:
1. Travel to someone else’s home to stay. We uses my Grandmother’s apartment in another city to get away from all the hustle and bustle around us. If this is not an option, book a super saver hotel for a night or two that has amenities like a pool or playground.
2. Make sure to pack extra clothing for the toddlers, include sunscreen, appropriate shoes, just a few toys for when inside, and enough swim diapers and swimsuits for the time away.
3. Snacks!!! You should always turn your Staycation in to a Snackation, thanks to Walmart it becomes super easy when you can pick up convenient and yummy items like Smucker’s Uncrustables that thaw in just a few minutes, Jif to go Dippers that can be eaten in the car, and the array of jams, jellys, and spreads from Smucker’s and Jif, give you a variation of ways to create treats.
4. Towels. Most Staycation’s will include a pool, splash park, lake, or ocean! Don’t forget the towels.
5. Camera! Capture all those memories, you may only be gone a night or two but the change of atmosphere for your child will show in the smile you can cherish!
6. NO SOCIAL MEDIA OR ELECTRONICS!!! Besides a phone call or two I had to make, I had no access to any other items that were plugged in! Unplug. Seriously. It will do you a world of good!
So we only had limited time to break away from all the events going on. We chose to stay a night away at a relative’s apartment. No television. No internet. Just lots of outdoor fun when the sun was up and coloring before getting ready for bed. One day was spent at a splash park that was free to visit and the other day at a local park where my son learned to hang from the monkey bars and begged us to watch him slide.
Our snack solutions from Walmart gave him plenty of energy to fill up before play and to refuel afterwards. Mommy may have been a bit addicted to the Jif Cookie’s ‘n Cream spread with pretzel sticks! I can’t wait to make some marshmallow fluff grilled sandwiches this Autumn as the weather cools down. They also have a Jif Salted Caramel Hazelnut Spread!
Pair up a Smucker’s Uncrustables (so many flavors to choose from), with some other snacks and you have a simple protein packed meal! Check your local Walmart for all your #Snackation go to items and start planning your Staycation, even if for only 24hrs. You deserve to escape the hustle and bustle of the day to day routine you have. You and your toddler will both thank you!
Author: Nichole Arnold
I’m the owner of Mommy Needs a Bottle . I’m a 30- something wine enthusiast that resides in Tampa, FL. I love family traditions, traveling, cooking, baking, reading, fashion, tattoos, beauty products, and being a Mommy! I have a background in marketing, public relations, copywriting, and sales.